Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sick again...

Ok, this turned into a really long post as do all of mine it seems. Oh well.

Ainsely has had trouble with sinus infections and allergies since she was 3 1/2. It started one week after she started preschool. She got a cough that would not go away. We saw the doctor several times. She also got more lethargic, stopped eating, got dark circles under her eyes, and started having more night terrors. After three sinus infections in three months they sent us to the allergist. They also tested for leukemia as well as other things. Since she had stopped eating, was lethargic, and dark circles under her eyes, plus she had started to complain about leg pains she thought it would be good to rule it out. Even though I was sure she did not have it your heart skips a beat when they bring it up. After seeing the allergist and finding out that she was not allergic to anything you can test for they decided she needed to see the ENT. The ENT did not want to do anything until fall because he said it might not come back after the summer. Most people get better in the summer. Six weeks later she had a sinus infection. He finally decided to take out her anoids and tonsils. The were both fairly large. After a very traumatizing recovery. Traumatizing only because her doctor was not sympathetic and I have a child who will refuse to take something if she does not like the taste because she gages on it and then throws up. So she refused the medicine and all that he said was force her to take it. I went to her pediatrician and she finally prescribed something else. Abby also has enlarge anoids and has had many sinus infections, he would not do surgery on her though since she was so young. Which was fine with me after Ainsley's surgery. They also did many tests on Abby before they decided it was her anoids including a cystic fibrosis test. Same thing with Ainsley I was almost positive that she did not have that, still my heart skipped another beat. I guess they did it because she had so much mucus in her sinuses and that sometimes that can happen with cystic fibrosis, they have a lot of sinus infections. I don't know, but everyone raves about the allergist we go to and I think he is great so I trust him. After the surgery Ainsley cleared right up and was not sick for nine months. Ainsley did complain about her throat a lot, but I thought it was just from the surgery. Nine months latter though I decide to take her back to the allergist. She now was allergic to our cat. After much debate we decided to see how medicine would work since she was upset by it and did not want us to get rid of the cat. In December she got really sick along with half of her class, but it just never went away. She started coughing at night to the point of throwing up. In January it happened again when we went to San Francisco this time both her and Abby were coughing so hard they could not sleep a lot one night. I almost took Abby to the ER but David was out of town and so I waited. Abby had a sinus infection, pink eye, and an ear infection. Apparently it is all caused by the same bacteria. We think Ainsley was coughing so hard that she broke a blood vessel in her eye. Her eye was blood red for days. In February it happened again. Mostly night coughing so bad she cannot catch her breath or she throws up. They finally decide to diagnose her with asthma. I never knew that asthma could be allergy and cold induced. I always thought people who had asthma had attacks after physical activity. So I still sometimes find it hard to believe she has asthma. It seems that once we got her on the right medicine she got better. It was a struggle though because she had some nasty mood swings with some of the medicines.

Last Saturday night early Sunday they both woke up with fevers. Abby never had anything else but a fever on and off for twelve hours. Ainsley had one fever and then started coughing from 4:30 in the morning until 2 when I finally took her to urgent care. Of course David had to leave to go out of town. She had maybe 10 minutes breaks in between coughing at the most usually shorter. I gave her two breathing treatments. I was at a lose though because she was not in respiratory distress, she could carry on a conversation and that is when they say you should go to the ER. I took her though because I knew she would not be able to sleep if this kept up and they do not like asthmatics to take cough medicine. I don't normally give them it anyway. Her pediatrician said to go in because if it was not asthma and just a cold then I would know and could give her something and if it was asthma then they could maybe do something. Ainsley even asked me if we could go. Of course by the time we got in the breathing treatments must have kicked in. He said do not give her cough medicine and just keep giving her breathing treatments. She had fluid in her ear but it was not and ear infection. This happens a lot. It really bothers her, but since there is no infection they can never do anything. The fluid does not stay though it is just there when she has an allergy attack so there is no need for tubes. She slept for three hours that afternoon. I would think I am just over reacting to a common cold most of the time, but I have had four different doctors tell me it is allergies and asthma so I go off of that. It seems Ainsley always get congested after the wind blows. It never fails. Maybe I should go see Dr. Ross. I remember Susan once said he was able to drain someones ears. For those who do not know Dr. Ross is a chiropractor that my friend goes to. He is also Mrs. Ross's(from school) husband. They have told me to take her off dairy, but I have tried and she will not drink any of the milk substitutes. They have never tested her for a milk allergy but said that it could cause issues even if she is not allergic to it. I still go back to the fact that it only happens when the winds blows. Her night terrors are also back worse then ever and she is sleep walking too. By the way it is scary, especially when they go screaming through the house and when you get to them they cannot remember even doing it. Night terrors happen sometimes with allergies, asthma, and enlarged adnoids and tonsils because you do not sleep well. I don't know, I am at a lose.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow, Jilene, I am sorry that you are experiencing this with the kids. Keep us posted!