Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Oh Abby....

While my cousin was here Abby came out of my bedroom with scissors. This can never be a good thing but I did not see any damage when I looked. A week later I was wearing pajamas and in the morning I looked down and saw several holes in the bottoms of them. Funny how they looked like scissor cuts. I asked her if she did it. No mommy I did not. Over and over again all day long this was the answer. One time she did stop and ask if I would be mad. I sad yes and she quickly said she did not do it. Later in the day she asked me again if I would be mad and I said no, not if you tell me the truth. She then said she did it.

Have I told you what a liar she is and has a tendency towards stealing or I should say it is more of a hoarding problem that involves stealing. What should I do? She is the cutest thing ever and so people fall for her. I had one person tell me she has that all American Apple pie face and this gets her out of stuff and she knows it.

My thing is how do I punish her. She is such a liar that I am trying right now to build up trust so that she knows she can tell me anything but I know she should still be punished.

Her latest one was yesterday. I went to put her hair in a ponytail and some of it was not long enough to fit. Do you see where this is going. It was later in the day that I found the hair she had trimmed off in the playroom. Several ringlets had been tucked away with some toys. Luckily with her she has such curly hair that you cannot tell at all. She immediately accused Ainsley and would not back down. I know Ainsley did not do it. She cracks under pressure and tells me within a few minutes if she did something. Abby would not waver. It was many hours later and we were discussing this at dinner. She finally said that it was her, she cut her own hair.

Luckily right now I know who is lying and who is telling the truth because it is between my two kids. What am I going to do when she gets bigger and better at this and it involves other kids that I don't know.

Help, I think I am going to be in trouble with this sweet all American apple pie liar.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Oh man, I never thought about what to do with a fibbin' apple pie girl when she's older. Hmmm, maybe she'll become a lawyer when she grows up :)

Amy said...

Um...yeah, I used to do what Abby is doing. I was too stubborn to back down once I decided to go with the lie. Luckily I wasn't a very good liar.

One time I had stepped on a pulled out drawer in the kitchen to make myself a little step so I could reach a glass in the cupboard. I broke the drawer. But, just pushed it in in the hopes that no one would notice.

They noticed. Here's where it gets good....My Mom sat me down and asked me if I did it. I of course said "nooooooo". So she pushed and asked if I didn't then who did. I said "Daddy". Think she believed it? Then I got it trouble twice. Once for breaking the drawer and once for lying about it.

I think with Abby you could probably call her bluff. Tell her that if she did it she'll be in trouble becuase it was wrong BUT...if she lies about it she'll be in trouble twice. Once for doing it and once for lying about it. Then tell her that you already know the truth and then tell her to take a few minutes and decide if she wants to change her story as to what happened.

It worked with me : )

Laura said...

Very interesting....

Tommy has never cut things he wasn't supposed to. Too much of a rule-follower for that. I think he has done little lies - nothing even that significant. I am not sure how I would handle it, but I know that it must be challenging and my heart goes out to you. You do want them to be able to tell you anything, but at some point, you need to discipline for things like cutting clothes! I like the idea of double punishment - that's good.

All I do know is my brother used to steal & lie a lot and how my parents handled it was to punish us all in hopes that he would feel bad about us being punished and fess up. He never did and I would suggest not doing that. They knew it was him. Not good.

Good luck!

Jilene said...

Laura, I did think about punishing them both until one confessed but I knew it was Abby. I know that Abby does not confess easily. I know that Ainsley gives herself up very easily. I did not think doing that would have any impact on Abby at all. I think I will try the double punishment. I did tell her the other day after she did confess to the pants that I was very mad and hurt but that I was grateful that she did tell me the truth finally. I said that if she lies to me her punishments will be worse.