Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Scully

The day after David and I got back from our Honeymoon we bought a kitten. I had never owned a cat before. I wanted a dog but we lived in an apartment and David said we should get a cat. So off we went to the pet store. Gilbert pets to be exact. Gilbert pets was not like a lot of pet stores and I new it would be ok to buy from her. One of the nicest ladies and she really cared about animals. It is more apparent in my dog story when ever I get around to telling that. I think we walked out of there with everything we needed for her and her for under $50. I actually want to say it was $35 but I really don't remember all that well considering it was almost 12 years ago. She was around I think 13 weeks old when we got her, can't remember that either. I know she had been there awhile no one seemed to want her. I did not either. I had my heart set on and orange tabby but in my past I had always gone for the odd ball and David said he wanted this one and she was a different color then most. She was getting older and it would be harder for them to sell her so we took her. She is named after the X files. David was a big fan of that show from the beginning and he got me hooked too. I thought it was a fun name so I agreed to it.

The first year she was a very friendly cat. Laid on my all the time. When we went places we would take her to my parents and she would play at their house and was very friendly to them. She was so cute and I loved having her. I know anyone who knows her now is saying what are you talking about? She was an indoor cat but I felt the need to get all her shots for her because that is what you do for animals, right? She was about 1 1/2 years old and she needed shots so I took her in. All was fine and we went home. When we got home she threw up. Not once, not twice, not three times, in fact it was to many times I lost track. I called the vet and they said bring her back now. When I got there they took her from me at the door and that began a long 24 hour period that I think changed her personality for good. Here is the graphic part, so be warned. She went into antiphalactic shock from a reaction to one of the shots. At one point there was blood coming out of both ends of her. Told you it was graphic. They gave her several things, shaved both arms and gave her and iv. They caged her because she became very crazy and stared trying to bite everyone. Then they said we can just wait and see. It really could go either way. Basically they prepared me for the fact that she might die, it was not looking good. She actually came out of it and they sent her to the hospital to be watched overnight. Amazingly we got out of it with only spending $300 and a cat that was alive at the end. The vet obviously did not charge me and they let me buy the medicine from them at cost and we took the medicine over to the hospital which cut down on the hospital charge. I was told that if we did not have the medicine and the hospital gave her medicine it would be very pricey.

After this she really was more skiddish and as she gets older it gets worse, I think. I know lots of people don't like her or are afraid of her. Really she is not mean she is just afraid herself. She lets you know by hissing at you or batting at you with her clawless paws. I am not sure if she has really ever bitten anyone except me. Usually that is in my sleep because I move around so much and she just sees motion and goes after it. When I was pregnant she laid right buy me all the time, way more then she had. She would lay right under their cradle and every time they cried she would get up and come stand in front of me and cry. She never hissed or batted at either girl until they were 3. She has never bitten them only hissed to let them know she wanted to be left alone. This does not deter Abby though. She is determined that Scully and her will be best friends and that scully really does like her. She is very playful for David and I. Especially David. I always make sure people know to stay away from her or at least I try to warn anyone that comes in the house. I truly do not believe she means anyone harm you never know and if she really does get to scared who knows what she will do. I think more then anything she tries to act tough and hisses so to protect herself and who wouldn't blame her after what she went through with humans.

Scully has not left this house since we moved in 7 1/2 years ago. I would not think of trying to take her anywhere. The problem is we are moving and not just a few hours away we are moving far. Do we fly with her. You have to have a health certificate in order to fly. The question was could we get one since she had not had her shots. I would not want to put her under the plane so I would need to bring her on the plane. There is no way without sedation that they would let me fly since she would probably cry the whole flight. What if the sedation did not work and she cried the whole flight. The other option drive with her. She would cry the whole way and be stressed out of her mind. We took option B. Crazy, I know? One day I packed her up in her carrier, to bad that is not on tape it was funny. She cried all the way there and then once we got there she curled up in the very back of her carrier and would not come out for anything. The vet looked at her and acknowledged that she was considerably more nervous then the average cat and agreed to sedation. I had enough cat hair on me after this to make a sweater. She sheds a ton when nervous. David and I tried the sedation. It made her eyes droopy and that was about it. She never slept. The vet said we could give her more if that did not work so on the actual day David was to drive back with our boat and the cat we gave her more. That should have been taped too. We ended up with a lot of it on both of us. She spit some of it, she keep baiting at me with her paw and knocking it all over but we finally got it in her. She then went and threw it all up. We waited 10 minutes and gave her a little more, not the whole amount but more. She then threw that up. Nothing left to do but take her and hope for the best. She actually slept for the first 8 hours and then starred at David for the next 8 hours. Yes 16 hours. He did have the boat so considering he really did good. He let her out and this is where she went.

The shower curtain in the bathroom. She use to do this a lot. She would do this with shower curtains and window curtains. I wonder if she really thinks we cannot see her. The next morning she came out to greet David and was all nice to him and then realized she was still mad, hissed at him and then ran under the bed. By the second day she decided everything was ok. She still has one more move though. When he moves her from the apartment to the house. That won't be as bad.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Poor Scully!

I had a cat, Jake, for about 13 years. He went everywhere with me - moved from NY to IN to CA to AZ. He lived in lots of appts within those places with me. I was always moving (I guess I just got bored?).

As he got older though, he really settled in a townhouse that I bought before this house. He loved that townhouse. When I moved him here, I am not sure what happened, but he kind of freaked out. He didn't act like himself and he was peeing down one hallway all the time. He would do it right in front of me as if he was punishing me for moving him. I couldn't just send him outside as he had never been an outside cat.

After many vet appts and consultations and replacing carpets (there is nothing worse than cat pee), I made the decision to put him down. He had gotten very old and no matter what we did, he mentally could not adjust. I am not sure why this particular time as he had moved with me so many times before, but I think it was just a sign that something was really wrong with him.

I haven't had a pet since. And it made getting this house very bittersweet for me.

I hope Scully can adjust. Hopefully, he can come out from the shower curtain....